I enjoyed reading the following from HBR’s article Why modern business is bad for your health. These values should be encouraged more as I see these crossed from time to time in the news of course but perhaps in communities I’m a part of. Like all ethics it’s about an effort not a destination. So it’s a nice reminder to read and share.
Think about it. A healthy community:
- Believes in reciprocity rather than exploitation.
- Believes in long-term relationships rather than one-off encounters.
- Protects its weakest members rather than targeting them for gouging.
- Worries about the externalities it creates rather than turning a blind eye to them.
- Discourages its members from playing games that endanger the community rather than encouraging them